Study Abroad Programs

How to Apply

Study Abroad at UCLA
Get Started

Study Abroad at UCLA: How to Apply

International students can apply to the Study Abroad at UCLA program on their own or through a specific study abroad consulting office. See the tab on "Overseas Representatives" to find a representative near you.

Apply Now

To enroll in Study Abroad at UCLA, you must be at least 18 years of age before the start of the program, enrolled in a full-time undergraduate degree program at your home university, and submit the following:

Proposed Study Plan

  • A list of courses you want to take at UCLA or UCLA Extension.
  • Download and complete your Proposed Study Plan (PDF).


  • A photocopy of your current, valid passport clearly showing your name, date of birth, and photograph. (And, if applicable, a clear copy of your spouse’s / dependents’ passport page(s) if they will accompany you with an F-2 visa).

University Transcript

  • Submit an English translation of your university transcript with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4-point scale or the equivalent. 
  • Please use the GPA Calculator to convert your international GPA to a 4.0 scale.
  • You will be required to upload a screenshot of your GPA verification in your application.

English Language Proficiency

  • Submit an official Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL-iBT) score of 91 or higher, an Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 7 or higher or an International Test of English Proficiency (iTEP) score of 5 or higher.
  • Official TOEFL iBT results can be sent by TOEFL to UCLA Extension (School Code 4910-0000); For Academic IELTS results, send to UCLA Extension directly.
  • Scores must have been achieved within 24 months of your application date.

Note: Students with a TOEFL score between 91–99 will be required to enroll in Advanced Academic Writing and Presentation Skills (ESL X 433 C), a credit-bearing English class designed to support students’ success in academic courses. Students with a TOEFL score more than 100 are exempt from this requirement.

    Financial Certification*

    • Proof that you or your sponsor are financially capable of meeting the minimum funds required for this program.
    • Submit a Verification of Bank Funds dated within 60 days from the date your application is received (must be in English) - or - submit a Sponsor Statement (PDF) (must be in English if bank funds are not your own).

    Immunization Form*


    *Financial certification documents and an immunization form are not required for students applying to the Study Abroad Online program. 
    Note: Payment of the program fee is due 6 weeks before the start of the program.


    Students without an F-1 visa who wish to study in the U.S.

    For 2022 Winter and Spring quarters, UCLA Extension International Programs will be offered in a hybrid (online and in-person) format. Students without an F-1 visa, who wish to study in the U.S. and enroll in one of our hybrid format programs, will meet U.S. Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) eligibility requirements for an I-20 form to obtain an F-1 visa.

    How does it work? Hybrid programs will include at least one in-person class meeting over the course of the quarter. The number of in-person meetings will increase as public health orders permit. Even though you will be living in Los Angeles, courses in your program will be offered in an online or hybrid format at this time. Learn about our online and hybrid instruction methods.

    How to enroll: Follow the application process outlined below. All new international F-1 students will be automatically enrolled in at least one in-person class meeting for the quarter.

    Transfer Students

    Students who are already in the U.S. with an F-1 visa can transfer to UCLA Extension and maintain F-1 status. Transfer students are not required to participate in an in-person class to maintain their visa status at this time.

    Continuing Students in the U.S with F-1 visa

    Current UCLA Extension students living in the U.S. with an F-1 visa are not required to participate in an in-person class at this time. You may enroll in fully online courses for Winter and Spring quarters.

    Continuing Students Outside of the U.S. with F-1 visa

    Current UCLA Extension students living outside the U.S. may enroll in fully online courses for Winter and Spring quarters and maintain F-1 status. If you wish to re-enter the U.S., please contact us for instruction at 310-825-9351 or When in-person classes resume in full, you may be required to re-enter the U.S. to maintain F-1 status.

    Please Note: Admission to Study Abroad at UCLA, UCLA Extension, and/or individual UCLA courses does not constitute admission to UCLA or any UCLA degree program.

    Contact Study Abroad

    Speak to a program representative. Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm.

    Learn more about our international programs.


    vector icon of building

    Corporate Education

    Learn how we can help your organization meet its professional development goals and corporate training needs.

    Learn More

    vector icon of building

    Donate to UCLA Extension

    Support our many efforts to reach communities in need.

    Innovation Programs

    Student Scholarships

    Coding Boot Camp

    Lifelong Learning