Student Support

Health Insurance

Insurance is required for all international students.

Find your program below for requirements.

American Language Center (ALC) Programs

Injury and Sickness Insurance is included in the American Language Center’s student services fees for the Academic Intensive English Program (AIEP), Intensive English Communication Program (IECP) and the American Culture & Communication Course (ACC). This insurance allows you to visit a hospital or clinic if you need medical attention due to an injury or sickness while studying at UCLA Extension. On the first day of your program, you will receive an insurance identification card and be provided more detailed information on your insurance coverage.

For more information, visit Anthem or call 1-800-676-2583. Translators are available in many languages.

Note: Permanent residents of the United States will not be eligible for this insurance.

Certificate Programs

Certificate program students are required to have health insurance for the duration of your studies at UCLA Extension. Health insurance is purchased via Relation Insurance Services, and paid for quarterly. 

Current health insurance rates (per quarter):

  • Student: $858
  • Spouse/Domestic Partner: $858
  • Each Child: $858

To purchase health insurance and view policy details, visit the Relation Insurance Services website or call (877) 246-6997 to speak to a representative.

To provide proof of your own health insurance, you must submit the Health Insurance Waiver Form (pdf) and documentation showing proof of coverage.

New Certificate Students
New students are required to purchase health insurance and provide proof of purchase before arriving in the U.S. as part of their I-20 application.

Current Certificate Students
Students currently enrolled in a certificate program are recommended to purchase health insurance at least 2 weeks in advance of your current quarter coverage expiry date as it can take 10-14 days for the new insurance coverage to appear as active in your insurance account.

Study Abroad

The UCLA health insurance fee is included in the program fee and is required for each student enrolled in Study Abroad and any dependents, if applicable. Under the insurance plan, you can use UCLA medical facilities and services. Coverage begins on the first day of the quarter and ends one day after the last day of the quarter.

For more information, visit Aetna Student Health, and select University of California, Los Angeles - Extension for the year that you will be enrolled in the program. Brochures are available in a variety of languages.

vector icon of building

Corporate Education

Learn how we can help your organization meet its professional development goals and corporate training needs.

Learn More

vector icon of building

Donate to UCLA Extension

Support our many efforts to reach communities in need.

Innovation Programs

Student Scholarships

Coding Boot Camp

Lifelong Learning