In keeping with University of California’s privacy values and principles, this notification explains UCLA Extension’s policies and practices for managing information and data. UCLA Extension collects various types of information from existing and prospective students, website visitors, alumni and other users of UCLA Extension’s programs, services and digital media, including websites or mobile applications operated by or on our behalf.
Information may be collected in-person, by phone, email, website, mobile applications, and other web and internet technologies.
Enrollment and Registration
Enrollment and registration into UCLA Extension courses, programs, conferences and other events requires that personal information and payment/financial information be collected. This notification provides an overview of the information we collect and how it is handled.
UCLA Extension collects the following types of personal and non-personal information:
- Personal information which may include your full name, address, phone number, email address, zip code, IP address;
- Demographic information which may include gender, race, ethnicity, education level, age, military/veteran status.
- Login information such as username and password;
- Work title, job title, department information, industry, licensure or credentials, and other information related to your work or Organization;
- User activity which may include all content that you create, share or post in audio, video, text, images, and other media or software files that you provide on or through our web sites, ads, events and profiles, or that are provided on your behalf, including information in or about the content you provide, such as the location of a photo or the date a file was created; and information other people provide about you when using our web sites, ads, events or profiles, including when they send a message to you or upload information about you;
- Web analytics which may include domain, geographic area, date/time of use, date/time data was collected, sites/subsites/pages viewed, click rates, and all communications with other users, including third parties, of our web site and profiles;
- User communications, feedback, suggestions, and ideas sent to us;
- Information you provide us when you or your Organization contact or engage us for support regarding our web site, events or profiles;
This information is used to carry out UCLA Extension’s business functions and due diligence in the processes of enrollment, registration and records management. Additionally, this information may be used for:
- Our internal marketing purposes and online behavioral advertising, which include, but are not limited to, sending you material about products, services, updates, etc. that we think may be of interest to you;
- For fostering communication and awareness of UCLA Extension’s courses, programs and events through social networks and vis-à-vis any of UCLA Extensions digital platforms;
- For sharing with our education partners, and approved select vendors or associates who are performing services on our behalf;
- To analyze and improve website and service performance and delivery, analyze how sites and services are being accessed and used;
- To test, correct and improve our content, applications and services;
- To develop new applications, products and services; and
- To improve customer/student experience and retention, analyze academic and learning outcomes and preferences.
Payment card information transmitted via the web by you to us, and subsequently by us to others with a need to know such as our acquiring bank. Furnishing all information designated as required (by an asterisk) on the forms on this site is a condition of enrollment. (Date of birth, gender, Social Security number (SSN)/Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN), and ethnic identity are not required fields.) Failure to provide required information will delay or may even prevent your enrollment.
- Information that is not required but which we ask you to volunteer (such as gender, educational level and ethnic identity) is used solely for statistical purposes to measure the diversity of the audience we serve.
- If you do not have or could not provide us with your SSN/TIN, you will be permitted to enroll; however, UCLA Extension will not be able to provide the IRS with evidence of fee payments that might entitle you to tax credits provided under the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Each year in December, UCLA Extension will conduct an annual solicitation of students whose records are subject to IRS reporting but where the SSN/TIN field remains blank, this to ensure that an oversight on your part can be addressed. You may append your record online at any time by logging in to your student portal.
- UCLA Extension routinely reports its student census to the National Student Clearinghouse. Those seeking deferments for repayment of student loans may wish to provide SSN to expedite the deferment process.
- Consistent with California practice for amending tax returns, UCLA Extension’s interest in retaining SSN for reporting purposes expires four years beyond the tax year. SSN data are stored in an encrypted state. You may request at any time to have SSN data deleted.
- Contact information furnished on these forms may be used by University departments and publicly announced program co-sponsors for distribution of information on future programs and activities of interest to you. This and other information will be transmitted to the state and federal government if required by law. Except for sharing with other University departments and program co- sponsors, as provided by law, UCLA Extension does not sell or share its mailing list.
- The official responsible for maintaining the information requested on forms on this website is the Registrar, UCLA Extension, P.O. Box 24901, Los Angeles, CA 90024-0901.