International Students

Study Abroad Programs


Study in Los Angeles this Summer and Fall 2021

New F-1 Visa Students:
The Study Abroad at UCLA - On-Campus program will be offered in a hybrid format and meets F-1 visa requirements.  

Continuing F-1 Visa Students: 
Courses continue to be online or remote through Summer 2021. On-campus programs will resume as soon as conditions permit.


Study online from your home country: 
The Study Abroad at UCLA - Online program offers all the same academic benefits as our on-campus program. An I-20 and F-1 visa is not required if studying from your home country.

Study Abroad at UCLA

The Study Abroad at UCLA Program is designed for international students who are currently enrolled in degree programs in their home country and want to earn transferable academic credits. Study at a top-ranked university and experience life in Los Angeles much in the same way American students do.

  • Earn academic credit you can transfer to your university
  • Enroll in UCLA undergraduate daytime and UCLA Extension evening courses 
  • Study side-by-side with American students, working professionals, and other international students

On-Campus (Hybrid) Program

Our on-campus Study Abroad Program will be offered in a hybrid format for summer and fall 2021, which meets U.S. Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) eligibility requirements for an I-20 form to obtain an F-1 visa. The hybrid program will include at least one in-person class meeting over the course of the quarter. The number of in-person meetings may increase as public health orders permit. Even though you will be living in Los Angeles, most of the courses in your program will be offered in an online format at this time. Learn about our online instruction methods.

Online Program

The Study Abroad at UCLA - Online program offers all the same academic benefits as the on-campus Study Abroad at UCLA program, from the comfort of your home. Learn at a world class university, and earn academic credits all without traveling. Our online program shares the same application and admission requirements with our on-campus Study Abroad program, with the exception of a financial statement, as there is no I-20 issuance.

These programs are best for students with excellent English language proficiency (TOEFL iBT 91 or IELTS 7) and those currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program.

Access to UCLA Facilities

  • On-Campus: In-person access to library, recreation center, Bruin card, as well as access to joining clubs on campus.
  • Online: Access to online facilities, lectures and webinars at the Fowler and Hammer Museums. Special presentations and lecture series through campus webinars and zoom sessions.


  • On-Campus: In-class networking with students, people already in your field of study, working professionals, in-person UCLA Extension career center appointments.
  • Online: Online webinars and lectures, as well as networking through UCLA Extension career resources, and online consultations.

Credits and Transferability

  • On-Campus & Online: Many UCLA and UCLA Extension courses are transferable, allowing you to earn credits while studying in-person or online at one of the most prestigious universities in the world.

Academic Counseling

  • On-Campus: Access to in-person academic counseling from program representative and advisor.
  • Online: Access to online academic counseling from program representative and advisor through email, zoom, and skype.


  • On-Campus: In-person orientation and breakfast.
  • Online: Online Canvas course orientation. Canvas is the online learning system at UCLA Extension.

Experience Los Angeles

  • On-Campus: Experience all that LA has to offer first hand-- the diversity, the culture, the people.
  • Online: Experience LA through online opportunities, tour museums, learn from LA's finest, enjoy lecture series all without leaving home.

Admission Decision

  • On-Campus: Application decisions are communicated within 3-5 business days.
  • Online: Application decisions are communicated within 24 hours.


Other ways to study abroad at UCLA:

Academic Intensive English Program (AIEP)

The Academic Intensive English Program at the American Language Center prepares students to enter college, university or certificate programs in the United States. You can refine your English language proficiency and academic skills while expanding your knowledge of American culture.  

  • Earn transferable credit for advanced English language courses
  • Enroll in UCLA or UCLA Extension courses for academic credit
  • Prepare for standardized exams (TOEFL, IELTS, and GRE) 

Learn More

American Collegiate

The American Collegiate Program is a unique opportunity for international students looking to begin their academic journey in the U.S. with the goal of transferring to an American university. 

  • Improve your English language proficiency
  • Enroll in UCLA or UCLA Extension courses for academic credit 
  • Acquire the cultural experience needed to thrive at a top institution

Learn More

Contact Study Abroad at UCLA

Speak to a program representative. Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm.

Learn more about our international programs.


vector icon of building

Corporate Education

Learn how we can help your organization meet its professional development goals and corporate training needs.

Learn More

vector icon of building

Donate to UCLA Extension

Support our many efforts to reach communities in need.

Innovation Programs

Student Scholarships

Coding Boot Camp

Lifelong Learning