Learn English from UCLA
Have a once-in-a-lifetime experience studying English at a top American university.
The American Language Center (ALC) brings more than 40 years of experience to international students from around the world. As the continuing education school of UCLA, UCLA Extension offers top-tier academics, expert instructors, and a premier learning environment.
Whether you want to improve your English to further your academic goals, attain professional success, or converse with confidence, UCLA Extension has a program for you.
Study in Los Angeles
The American Language Center’s English language programs and courses have returned to fully in-person instruction. We are excited to welcome students back to high-quality, interactive lessons on campus in Los Angeles.
The ALC offers in-person daytime classes from 9am–3pm Los Angeles time (for F-1 students).
Custom remote online programming is available for group enrollments.
You can expect:
- Interactive classes led by UCLA-quality instructors
- One-on-one tutoring and instructor office hours
- A language exchange in our Language Partner program
- An opportunity to take part in campus and community events
As one of the departments within UCLA Extension, the American Language Center (ALC) provides English language training to speakers of other languages.
ALC classes usually take place at UCLA Extension’s Lindbrook Center, a beautifully designed building located in the heart of Westwood Village. The building offers modern, well-equipped classrooms, state-of-the-art language and computer labs, a large student lounge, and an outdoor patio overlooking the lively neighborhood.
Most ALC instructors have master’s degrees in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). Since many of them have lived and worked in other countries, they understand the challenges that ALC participants experience as they adapt to the language and life of the United States.
Because individuals have different learning styles, our instructional approach incorporates a variety of strategies and techniques. ALC instructors do everything possible to be helpful, to create a comfortable learning environment, and to encourage students to take an active role in their learning. All ALC instructors and staff are committed to providing the highest level of customer service.
The services that accompany an English language program are often just as important as the program itself. Dedicated UCLA Extension and ALC staff assist you in getting settled in Los Angeles, becoming accustomed to academic life, and providing helpful information while you are here.
The ALC academic advisor assists students with:
- Group orientation sessions
- Deciding on their next course of study
- United States college and university application procedures
- Guidance for studying in UCLA Extension professional certificate programs
F-1 Student Visa Advising
The International Student Office (ISO) provides:
- Assistance regarding visa and immigration issues
- Preparation of documents for student visas
- Approval for travel while maintaining F-1 visa status
- Advice on visa status changes, transferring between schools, and temporary travel outside of the United States
For assistance regarding visa and immigration issues, call (310) 825-9351, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ALC students typically live off campus, usually in privately owned residence halls, homestays, or furnished apartments. Off-campus, non-UCLA housing is available year-round; students make reservations directly with housing providers. UCLA on-campus housing is available in summer only.
The American Language Center has helped me improve my English and I would recommend it to others because of the teachers, quality of classes, the school environment, and location.
Why UCLA Extension?
- Affiliation with University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), one of the world’s most prestigious universities
- Access to UCLA transferable credit courses
- High-quality, full-time and part-time English-language programs
- Highly trained and friendly instructors; helpful and supportive staff
- Study with students from all over the world