Certificate Programs for International Students

Certificate Programs: How to Apply

COVID-19 Information

Study in Los Angeles this Summer 2022

New F-1 Visa Students
New hybrid programs available to meet F-1 visa requirements.

An I-20 and F-1 visa are not required if studying from your home country.

For more information, visit How to Apply

View UCLA COVID-19 Protocols

Apply for a certificate program and to obtain an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. The I-20 allows you to then apply for an F-1 visa to study full-time in the United States. If studying from your home country, an I-20 and F-1 visa are not required.

Step 1: Declare Certificate Candidacy

On the webpage of your chosen certificate program, choose 'Apply Now' and follow the prompts. If you are new to UCLA Extension, you will need to create a student account to get started.

Complete your student profile and the certificate candidacy application.

The certificate candidacy fee (if applicable) will be added to your cart. This fee must be paid along with the international student fee ($2000 USD) in order for your I-20 to be issued.

View Eligible Certificate Programs

Step 2: Prepare Supporting Documents

Before beginning your I-20 application, review the information below.

Please note that all supporting documents uploaded with your application must be in either .pdf or .jpg format

In order to receive an I-20, you must meet the minimum score required for your certificate as listed on the UCLA Extension program page. View the minimum scores for each certificate program.

Test Scores

Upload test scores from the TOEFL iBT, IELTS Academic, or iTEP Academic-Plus (must show an original test date that is less than two years old).



International applicants may be exempt from the English language proficiency test requirement if one of the following criteria are met:

  • Are a citizen of the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, or English-speaking Canada, and English is your native language
  • Have studied for a minimum of four years at a high school, college, or university in the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, or English-speaking Canada
  • Have earned a graduate level degree from a college or university in the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, or English-speaking Canada
  • Have completed UCLA Extension's Academic Intensive English Program (AIEP) Level 107 (or higher) with earned grades of A- (or higher) in the two core subjects, and will complete ESL X 433C as required*

Download Waiver Form (pdf)

*UCLA Extension policy allows some students from our Academic Intensive English Program (AIEP) to request a waiver from providing an English language test for admission into some UCLA Extension certificate programs; however, one additional course (ESL X 433C) is required. This test waiver applies solely to UCLA Extension certificate programs requiring TOEFL scores 83-89 or IELTS Academic score 6.5 or iTEP Academic score 4.5-4.9. It does not apply to certificate programs requiring 90 (or higher) on the TOEFL or 7.0 (or higher) on the IELTS Academic or 5.0 (or higher) on the iTEP Academic. This test waiver does not apply to the following programs: Landscape Architecture, Paralegal Studies, Journalism, Human Resources Management, Fitness Instruction, Screenwriting: Film and TV, Post-Baccalaureate Program in Classics. 

Supplemental English Courses

International students whose test scores are below 100 on TOEFL iBT, 7.0 on the IELTS Academic, or 5.1 on the iTEP Academic-Plus will be required to take one or two supplemental English for International Students courses based upon the following:

Test Score

Required English Course(s)

TOEFL iBT: 83-90
IELTS Academic: 6.5 with 6.0 or below in writing
iTEP Academic-Plus: 4.5-4.9

ESL X 433B and ESL X 433C

TOEFL iBT: 91-99
IELTS Academic: 6.5 with 6.5 or above in writing
iTEP Academic-Plus: 5.0

ESL X 433C

TOEFL iBT: 100 or above
IELTS Academic: 7.0 or above
iTEP Academic-Plus: 5.1 or above

Not required

Each English course counts toward the 12 units of courses that you are required to take each quarter as an F-1 student. English courses are worth four units each. You may enroll in one English course per quarter plus two certificate program courses.

Make a clear, readable copy of your passport biographic page containing your your name, birth date, expiration date, and the bottom two lines filled with letters and numbers.


If you are currently in the U.S. without an F-1 visa and want to change your current visa status to F-1, you will also be required to upload:

Though we strongly recommend that you return to your home country and obtain an F-1 student visa. 

Official copy of high school or college transcripts. English copy must be included with foreign language transcripts.

Each transcript submitted must display each course you took during your studies and the grade you received. Diplomas and/or Certificates of Completion will not be accepted in lieu of a transcript.

You and/or your sponsor are financially responsible for your educational and living expenses for the duration of your program and must provide financial certification meeting the minimum funds as listed in the table below. This is valid for the students as well as for the educational and/or living expenses of your dependents who will accompany you.

Verification of Bank Funds

We will accept a bank document dated within 90 days of your submitted application. All financial verifications must state the minimum amounts listed in the table below and be in liquid accounts.

Sponsor Statement or Affidavit of Support

If a sponsor will be paying for you, provide their signed affidavit of support, in English, signed and dated within 90 days of your submitted application which states the amount of financial support and the relationship to the student. 

Download Affidavit of Support Form (pdf)

Financial Guarantee (for government-sponsored students only)

If you are a government-sponsored student, you will only need to submit a copy of your financial guarantee with your application.

Calculation of Financial Support

Each applicant is required to show a minimum of $26,300 USD to fund school tuition and living expenses while an F-1 student enrolled at UCLA Extension. Proof of an additional $7,600 for a spouse and/or $5,000 for each child is required for F-2 dependents.

Est. Tuition + Living Expenses + Spouse + Each Child  
$26,300 $7,600 $5,000 = Total


Estimated tuition and estimated living expenses are the same for all students, regardless of the program you select and your planned living accommodations.
Information on dependents: You and/or your sponsor are financially responsible for the expenses of your dependents who will accompany you. As listed in the table above, the cost for the spouse is additional $7,600 and each child is $5,000 added over and above to your tuition ($6,300) + estimated living expenses ($20,000). This is used to calculate the funds required.


You are required to have health insurance for the duration of your studies. Health insurance fees are paid each quarter. New students are required to purchase health insurance and upload proof of payment. 

To purchase health insurance and view policy details, visit the Relation Insurance Services website or call (877) 246-6997 to speak to a representative.

Purchase Health Insurance

To provide proof of your own health insurance, you must submit the Health Insurance Waiver Form and provide documentation showing proof of coverage.

Download Health Insurance Waiver Form (pdf)

If you plan to bring any dependents with you (spouse or children), the following must be provided for each family member:

  • Name (as it appears on passport)
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Country of citizenship
  • Passport photo copy
  • Copy of marriage/household certificate (spouse); or copy of birth certificate (child)

Transfer Students

If you are already in the United States on F-1 visa status and plan to transfer your I-20 to UCLA Extension, you will also be required to upload:

Returning Students

You are a returning student if you have previously applied for an I-20 and paid the $2000 international fee at UCLA Extension. If you a current or former student but never applied for an I-20 at UCLA Extension, complete the new student application.

Click 'Show More' to display the additional documentation required per your current visa status.

If you are currently in the U.S. and want to change your current visa status to F-1, you will also be required to upload:

If you are an F-1 student transferring back to UCLA Extension, you will also be required to upload:

Show More

Find your status below to learn how you can study in Los Angeles.

Students without an F-1 visa who wish to study in the U.S.

For 2022 Winter and Spring quarters, UCLA Extension International Programs will be offered in a hybrid (online and in-person) format. Students without an F-1 visa, who wish to study in the U.S. and enroll in one of our hybrid format programs, will meet U.S. Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) eligibility requirements for an I-20 form to obtain an F-1 visa.

How does it work?
Hybrid programs will include at least one in-person class meeting over the course of the quarter. The number of in-person meetings may increase as public health orders permit. Even though you will be living in Los Angeles, most of the courses within your chosen certificate program will be offered in an online format. Learn about our online instruction methods.

How to enroll:
Follow the application process as outlined. All new international F-1 students who arrive in the U.S. for Winter and Spring quarters 2022 will be automatically enrolled in at least one in-person class meeting for the quarter.


Transfer Students

Students who are already in the U.S. with an F-1 visa can transfer to UCLA Extension and maintain F-1 status. Transfer students are not required to participate in an in-person class to maintain their visa status at this time.

Continuing Students in the U.S with F-1 visa

Current UCLA Extension students living in the U.S. with an F-1 visa are not required to participate in an in-person class at this time. You may enroll in fully online courses for Winter and Spring.

Continuing Students Outside of the U.S. with F-1 visa

Current UCLA Extension students living outside the U.S. may enroll in fully online courses for Winter and Spring quarters and maintain F-1 status. If you wish to re-enter the U.S., please contact us for instruction at 310-825-9351 or iso@uclaextension.edu.  When in-person classes resume in full, you may be required to re-enter the U.S. to maintain F-1 status.



    Step 3. Complete the I-20 Application


    New Students

    Applicants who have not previously applied for an I-20 with UCLA Extension, including transfer students.

    New Student Application


    Returning Students

    Applicants who have previously applied for an I-20 and paid the $2000 international fee at UCLA Extension.

    Returning Student Application

    The $2000 USD international student fee is a one-time fee for visa advising, administration costs, and counseling services. This fee is charged once and remains valid for any future international program applications at UCLA Extension requiring I-20 issuance. Students returning to UCLA Extension who have already paid the $2000 application fee are not required to pay this fee again. Students who will be studying on visas other than F-1 do not need to complete this application.

    Step 4: Confirmation

    Please allow 2-3 weeks to process a completed application and to email a digital copy of your I-20. Digital copies are the default method of delivery due to ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

    Application Deadlines

    Entry Quarter* New Students
    Outside the U.S.
    Transfer Students
    with Current I-20
    Fall Quarter
    August 1 August 31
    Winter Quarter
    November 1 November 30
    Spring Quarter
    February 1 March 1
    Summer Quarter
    May 1 May 31

    *Instructional dates for each quarter can be viewed on the UCLA Extension Academic Calendar




    International Student Fee

    If we have not created an I-20 for you, then you are eligible for a full refund of $2,000 for the International Student Fee.

    If we have created an I-20 for you, but your F-1 visa is denied or you do not enter the U.S. using UCLA Extension's I-20, you can request a refund of $1,400 of the International Student Fee ($600 of the fee is non-refundable).

    Health Insurance

    You may submit a refund request to Relation Health Insurance if you will not be studying with us on F-1 status. Refunds are only possible within 30 days from the program start date and if you have not utilized the coverage.

    The following fees may be non-refundable:

    Certificate Application Fee (contact the academic department for review)

    Express Mail Service Fee (cannot be refunded once the I-20 has been shipped)

    Contact the International Student Office

    Speak to a representative. Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm (PT).

    vector icon of building

    Corporate Education

    Learn how we can help your organization meet its professional development goals and corporate training needs.

    Learn More

    vector icon of building

    Donate to UCLA Extension

    Support our many efforts to reach communities in need.

    Innovation Programs

    Student Scholarships

    Coding Boot Camp

    Lifelong Learning